Did some very rough packing Friday morning after spending Thursday night sorting things out for work. Spent the day at work hoping i'd packed everything and it was going to work out because come 3:15 I was out of there. Made the trip down watching some black cloud along the journey but with it mostly looking promising things looked hopeful that the weather forecast was wrong for a change. Crossed the bridge into Peterborough and saw some sad looking hopefuls tossing lures along the banks. Caught up with Dean the owner of the caravan park and headed down for a quick chat to hear all about how great the weather had been for the day  Chucked the tent up, got changed and not to long after it was off to the pub to plan the assault. 
Being off the grog paid off the next morning when I woke around 6:30 and still felt okay so whilst the others had a sleep in thought i'd toss a few lures along the shore. 1st couple of casts saw some small salmon making a good warm up and then a feisty little 25cm mullet that buried itself in a weed clump and managed to throw the hook but could get out of the weed before i drag it onto the shore.The tide and wind were working together to make things a little trickier than they needed to be but by casting ahead of my target area and walking down the bank with the drift I was able to get my vibes down without miles of slack line collecting weed every second, even working this I was lucky to get 1 in 5 casts clean of weed for any period of time. Felt a light tap then a solid thump as the hooks connected and it was on, played dodge the weed and get out of the channel and tide for a few minutes with a nice bream to open the account for the weekend. Ended up going 41cm to the fork with a nice bit of weight to him. 
Decided to call it quits and head back for some breaky, found Geoff had stirred by that point and Boz wasn't far behind. With the promise of good bream we got the kayaks rigged and out onto the water while Riv sorted breakfast out and came down soon after.
 Hit the bridge area for a few more salmon when the wind and rain picked up and I went and beached under the bridge while the Hobie boys paddled around underneath. 

After the rain cleared decided to head back to shore for a break when we spotted cruiser(Geoff2) who was about to head out, since the weather was a little better decided to stick it out and went down the channel to where i'd got the bream earlier. drifted along with Geoff1 flicking vibes along the edges and having a good laugh as the mirage drives found the shallows each time. Got back to the mark from earlier and dropped a vibe down while I tried to adapt my paddle for a stakeout pole(we really should have raided Dean's broom supply  ) While I was busy with that the rod loaded up and another fight was on. With the fish running along the channel with the tide and the wind pushing me across the shallow flats it was a tough battle mixed between getting some line back, keeping things clear of a the channel edge and  keeping the kayak out of the weed. In the end I got him to the surface and managed to slip him into the shallows where the fight soon turned my way. Another nice bream in the net this one going 38. Things got quiet after that so headed in to grab a bite to eat and stretch the legs. 
Headed back out after a decent pie(last one in the shop) and anchored up next to Riv back in the channels. Riv managed a couple of salmon when I decided to change lures over to a small strike pro vibe.
 Using a super slow retrieve soon had another feisty bream on and being anchored up this time the fight was much more one sided, despite an attempt to wrap himself around a channel marker pole he was soon in the net for a quick photo and back over. 
Weather got nasty again and decided to call it for the day so headed back to the campsite. Had a chat and a bit of a flick along the shore picking up a little salmon that we began contemplating live baiting off the beach before Geoff2 decided to give some prawns a go from the kayak again.
 Headed back down the channel with both of us picking up a small trevally, Geoff on a plastic mine on a vibe, anchored up again and went through a range of lures and plastics for not much joy, mullet and salmon again on the plastics although they seemed to be getting smaller each time. Cruiser's were getting bigger but still no sign of bream when a couple of boaters came through flicking sx40's along the opposite channel edge, they picked up 3 reasonable bream that I saw, and plenty of salmon. Watching the black clouds coming in I decided that was definitely the end of my day so said later to Geoff and headed back in, made it about halfway when the heavens opened and I got soaked in seconds, couldn't see the front of the yak through the rain and was busy sucking water through my buff instead of air. 

That was it for fishing for me so after a shower and some clean clothes we did a barbie and enjoyed the soggy fire before calling it a night. About 6 the next day I heard a few car doors going and thought Cruiser had decided to head out but when I got up around 7 he was still sleeping away in the troopy, Geoff1's tent was down so hoped he'd taken Boz up on the offer of a bed in the cabin, tried flicking lures from the shore but the wind was ferocious by this stage and only managed two salmon when the sky opened up again and after skull dragging the last one in I went back to bed for another hour.

Great weekend as always, even managed some fish and four species for me so good fun, stopped in at toolirook on the way home but the wind was making the surf launch at peterborough more comfortable than hitting the lake so that was it for the weekend. Thanks again guys had a great time as always. Also a big thanks to Dean for being a great host once again, always a pleasure to get down there mate.

Few random Shots
1/24/2012 09:01:16 pm

Good article dude

1/24/2012 09:24:45 pm

Appreciate your information

3/23/2012 04:17:57 am

Great info, thanks

3/25/2012 06:33:36 am

good post

7/12/2012 03:01:07 am

THX for info


Leave a Reply.